Israel really out here committing genocide against Palestinians and ppl are talking about “both sides are at fault.”
Sorry, but this shit seems all too familiar. White folks pull the same shit against Black people. When we quote or talk about Malcolm X’s beliefs y’all try to pull the “reverse racism” shit, like it’s an equal fight on both sides. It’s not, and y’all know it.
The way my Blackness is set up, I stand with Palestine. Same stuff white people have done throughout the last 500 years, is exactly what we are seeing occur in Palestine.
I actually know this girl, this is crazy.
To know that something like this could happen to a person you know is scary and heartbreaking.
IF YOU LIVE IN THE CENTRAL FLORIDA AREA PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ALEX.
She needs to be brought home safely.My poor cousin :/ It’s sad when someone you grew up with and knew is missing. We don’t know where she is and we’re hoping she is safe so please look out for her and go visitwww.bringalexhomesafe.comto help donate and raise awareness. We won’t give up until you’re found and home safe and sound in peace. We love you Alex.
Finally, some truth from Al Sharpton…
As a parent of biracial children, I said almost exactly the same thing to Mayor De Blasio at a news conference on the steps of City Hall seven months ago with New Yorkers Against Bratton. It was true then, when Sharpton was kissing Bratton’s ass and most of the “Stop and Frisk” movement was honeymooning with the new mayor, and it’s true now. Better late than never, I guess.
Happy Birthday, Jessica Williams!
Jessica joined The Daily Show with Jon Stewart in 2012 at the tender age of 22, making her the show’s youngest cast member ever as well as its first black female correspondent.
“It’s impossible to be perfect, and you won’t do a good job if you’re too focused on proving yourself to others. Instead, I try to envision myself succeeding in whatever I’m doing.”
How can I get down?
Five Latin American countries withdraw envoys from Israel
August 1, 2014
The decision of the Latin American countries to recall their ambassadors in Tel Aviv is a “deep disappointment”, says Israel.
El Salvador on Wednesday became the fifth Latin American country to withdraw its ambassador from Israel in protest at Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.
Brazil, Chile, Ecuador and Peru have already recalled their ambassadors.
Israeli Foreign Ministry Spokesman Yigal Palmor said that the move encourages Hamas; “this decision encourages Hamas which has been recognized as a terrorist organization by several countries. The countries standing against terror must act responsibly and should not reward them. While Hamas has been responsible for hindering a ceasfire, El Salvador, Peru and Chile were expected to support international attitude for peace and demilitarization of Gaza”, the statement said.
Earlier Israel criticized Brazil over its decision to recall its ambassador in protest at Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.
Brazil was one of 29 countries in the UN Human Rights Council that voted last Wednesday to investigate Israel over its military offensive in Gaza.
During a state visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping on July 17, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said her country was “profoundly concerned by the dramatic events” in Gaza.
The Palestinian death toll from a devastating Israeli onslaught on the Gaza Strip rose to 1283, according to a Gaza Health Ministry spokesman.
According to the spokesman, at least 7170 Palestinians have also been injured in the ongoing Israeli attacks since July 7.
Once again, this nation is on the wrong side of history.
xhighwayman said: I'm not trying to offend you, I'm sorry. I guess it's just me but I don't care for race, people are people
You don’t get to say that. You don’t get to say “people are people” when Black people are intentionally being killed for being Black— people clearly aren’t people. People aren’t “people” when a white felon can more easily get a job than a Black person who has never committed a crime. You don’t get to pretend you live in an alternate reality in which the construct of race doesn’t exist because it does. It doesn’t help anyone for you to pretend that race doesn’t exist and “people are just people”. Psychologists link that thinking to people being racists because it shows that you’d rather ignore reality than realize that people are oppressed for their races and it shows you don’t know how to empathize.
Why is it that removing race makes white people feel so comfortable.
You should be insulted that your racism is so deep you need to remove a person’s heritage to see them as a person. You need to change the context of events just to understand them. How do you have the nerve to call yourself enlightened when in order to see the picture you have to blur the whole image.
- Jane Elliot anti-racism educator talking about why colorblindness is invalid with Oprah
- "Colorblindness" in particular has been associated with higher levels of racism and lower levels of empathy. — 11. Neville, H. A., Lilly, R. L., Duran, G., Lee, R. M., & Browne, L. (2000). Construction and initial validation of the Color-Blind Racial Attitudes Scale (CoBRAS). Journal of Counseling Psychology, 47, 59–70. 12. Burkard, A. W., & Knox, S. (2004). Effect of therapist color-blindness on empathy and attributions in cross-cultural counseling. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 51, 387–397.
- GradientLair’s essays on why colorblindness is invalid and recognizing race and understanding racism is vital
- Unfortunately, not paying attention to race and gender does not make gender-race inequalities go away, precisely because these inequalities are institutionalized and not just ideas in people’s heads — Evelyn Nakano Glenn, Chapter 1: The Social Construction and Institutionalization of Gender and Race in Revisioning Gender
- In a colorblind society, White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010). Most minorities, however, who regularly encounter difficulties due to race, experience colorblind ideologies quite differently. Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives. — Monica Williams, Ph.D for Psychology Today, “Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism
"Facing Race, Because…"
^^^^ How would you finish this sentence?
Facing race because it affects every aspect of your life, even if you turn away. Because not fighting racism, is condoning and perpetuating racism.
My man Jay cracked me up — “because it feels good if you try it, I promise” — lol that’s awesome.
T-Boz, Estelle, Esperanza, Monica, and Kimbra featured in Janelle Monáe’s new music video "Electric Lady"
Some mistakenly believe that power requires intellect and bemoan the crowning of fools. Barack Obama makes sense to many of us, but we might scowl at the elections of Ronald Reagan or George “Dubya” Bush. But Reagan, Bush (Hitler, too)—these leaders who failed elsewhere in life only to go on and garner a cult-like allegiance—they were not selling their minds, or themselves, even. What they shared was the ability to read people and speak to their fear, costumed as the dream of their choice. And it was a base and intoxicating dream; one of unmerited superiority and might unburdened by conscience.
Some reject the practice of trying to understand evil-acting humans claiming it “humanizes” them. But you don’t need to forgive them, let alone spend any time in their heads to understand that the crowds of people were led by their own inner desires, their own chosen illusions. As Robert Burton wrote in Anatomy of Melancholy, Every man for himself, his own ends, the devil for all.
get out your VCR’s it’s time to watch The Prince of Egypt. or you can watch it here.
please don’t watch exodus: gods and kings because it’s icky and racist. you deserve better. you deserve the prince of egypt.
EDIT: that dish of noodles everyone is wondering about is a plate of spaghetti with mayonnaise and ketchup on it.
ANOTHER EDIT: a lot of people are saying that Moses was actually not that much of a nice guy and was pretty terrible, but I think that no matter where you stand with who he was we can all agree that he wasn’t white, which is the biggest issue here, eh?
president of the carefree black girls
her everything. I love Solange to the moon and back.
- “We as Black people have to tell our own stories. We have to document our history. When we allow someone else to document our history the history...”
On my first day working at Disney World I went into the bathroom and accidentally smacked right into Snow White, and she...